The Secret 3K - 2020
Wednesday March 4, 2020 / 6:30 P.M.
Select Cities - Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal, Fredericton, Halifax, Charlottetown, St. John's
We want to let you in on a secret. In 2015 for the first time ever, a marathon was held in Afghanistan, a marathon that both men and women were able to participate in but they had to keep it a secret. Why? There are still places in the world where women are not allowed to run or walk outside. However, a community in Afghanistan is courageously carving out a new way forward for the next generation. By creating safe races they are helping to create safe places. We want to help.
Join us for The Secret 3K run/walk. Held on the week of International Women's Day, this race celebrates our right to be free to run. We're inviting everyone to come together in solidarity supporting the right all humans should have to walk or run free of fear in their community.
By participating you are helping us to share the story through film and by making a donation you are helping to further the work of Girl Guides to build safe and inclusive spaces that promote gender equality. Together we can empower women and girls through education and sport.
Make a difference by signing up to participate in The Secret 3K and inviting a friend to join you today.
To learn more about The Secret Marathon documentary film and our partners please visit www.thesecretmarathon.com
To purchase a copy of the Secret Marathon by Martin Parnell - Click Here
|The Secret 3K||Register Now!|
|Until Mar. 6||$15|
Team Registration - 2 Options
|Team Captain / Team Member - 3K *||Register Now!|
|Until Mar. 6||$15|
|10 - 30 Members School Groups 3K**||Register Now!|
|Until Mar. 6||$150 for 10 + $15 for additional member|
- Online Registration closes Friday March 6th @ midnight.
- Race day registration is available at site.
- Team Registration - 2 Options
- Team Captain / Team Member - 3K
- *The Team Captain must register first and invite the members to join up!
- Captains who register for the team events will be sent a password to invite members to register to join their team. Click here for more info.
- 10 - 30 Members School Groups 3K**
- For Groups of 10 - 30 students. minimum of 10 students for $150 / maximum of 30. $15 for additional member
- Teacher registers the school group for the 3K event, enters the names of the students at point of registration.
Schedule of Events
Registration Check-In: 5.30pm-6:30pm
Please join us to check-in if you have registered in advance or to sign-up for day-of-registration. Upon check-in all recipients will receive a specialized race bib to wear for the duration of the race.
Race Starts: 6:30pm
Runners escorted to start line to complete a 3km race/walk. Please note that there will not be washrooms or water stations along the route.
Celebration: 6:45pm -7:30pm
Join us post race for refreshments and celebration and learn more about the work of our charity partners and about The Secret Marathon film.
Race Information and Times
- Running Room locations:
- Victoria - 1234 Government St Learn More
- Vancouver - Suite 103, 679 Denman Street Learn More
- Edmonton - 8537 - 109 Street Learn More
- Red Deer - Race Start: Scott Block Theatre 4816 50 Ave
- Advance Race Kit Pick Up: Southpointe Common, 169-2004 50th Ave Learn More
- Calgary - Unit A01, 200 Barclay Parade SW Learn More
- Regina - 2118 Albert Street Learn More
- Winnipeg - Kenaston Village Mall, 1875 Grant Avenue Learn More
- Toronto - 1977 Queen Street East Learn More
- Kingston - 255 Princess Street Learn More
- Ottawa - 901 Bank Street Learn More
- Montreal - Quartiers Dix 30 7240 Boul du Quartier Suite 10 Brossard, QC J4Y 0B5 Learn More
- Fredericton - Kings Place Unit 26, 440 King Street Learn More
- Halifax - 5514 - Spring Garden Road Learn More
- Charlottetown - 160 Great George Street Learn More
- St. John's - New Location Map The Bungalow @ Bowring Park 305 Waterford Bridge Rd, St. John's NL A1E 1E7
To learn more about The Secret Marathon documentary film and the Marathon of Afghanistan please visit www.thesecretmarathon.comBackground
In 2016, while filming the second ever "Marathon of Afghanistan," the film team of The Secret Marathon became inspired by the Afghan people and their ability to use the race as a catalyst to reclaim a lost space which provided an opportunity for everyone regardless of gender, age or income to run. Upon returning to Canada, the film team discovered that Canadians don't always feel safe to run at night or in their specific community. Many citizens in this country feel it is too uncomfortable or even dangerous to run, despite our relative safety. The film team wondered if it would be possible to use the same method used in Afghanistan to reclaim a "safe space" for excluded Canadians. Garnering support from The Running Room and Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan, the "Secret Marathon 3K" was born.Vision
To create a yearly event coinciding with International Women's Day that celebrates every person's right and freedom to safety, to education and to move freely in their community.Media
- Toronto City News - https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2018/03/07/canadian-filmmaker-focusesspotlight-on-womens-freedom-of-movement/
- Toronto CBC Metro Morning - https://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/metro-morning/segment/15525305
- Calgary Herald: http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-joins-cross-canada-safe-running-celebration
- iRun Radio Podcast: http://irun.ca/index.php/irun-radio-february-18th-2018/
- Beaches Metro: http://www.beachmetro.com/2018/02/20/inaugural-secret-marathon-empowers-builds-community/
- Peterborough Examiner : https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-peterborough-examiner/20180226/281513636643137
- Kingston : http://www.thewhig.com/2018/03/01/kingstonians-to-run-secret-marathon
- Cochrane : http://www.cochranetimes.com/2018/02/22/fun-run-being-held-for-secret-marathon
- Salaam Nameste Media : https://youtu.be/nZ8Te6earJw
For more information please contact Kate McKenzie
How to Register view more ▶
- Choose your event! Click on the registration link to go to the secure registration page
- Fill out your information on the registration form. Make sure to include your proper email address!
- Use your credit card to pay your registration fee! Transactions processed securely.
- You will receive a confirmation Email, outlining your application and payment details.
- Check the on-line confirmation list above.
- All entries are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Entry fee does not include processing fee .
Remember to check back regularly for updates on race information!
If you have questions or comments, please contact your Race Director.
Have a great Race!
Fundraising and Donations view more ▶
All donations go towards Girl Guides of Canada.
Girl Guides of Canada–Guides du Canada (GGC) empowers every girl in Guiding to discover herself and be everything she wants to be. In Guiding, girls from 5–17 meet with girls their own age in a safe, inclusive space to explore what matters to them. With programming options ranging from innovative STEM activities to outdoor adventures and discussions on mental health and healthy relationships, girls in Guiding can customize their experience to dive into the topics relevant to them. Girl Guides is where girls take the lead, put their ideas into action and jump into awesome activities – all with the support of engaged Guiders who are committed to positively impacting their lives. Guiding is all about supporting girls as they take on challenges and grab hold of every opportunity that comes their way. For more information visit GirlGuides.ca and follow @girlguidesofcanada.
Donations to Girl Guides of Canada provide charity tax benefits and can be made upon race registration
Many of our events are affiliated with a charity. Supporting a charity has never been easier!
It's Simple! If you are registering for an event that is associated with a Charity there will be a Donations tab on the top of the race page. All you need to do is go to the Donations tab and select Raise funds to set up your fundraising page. Once you set up a new Fundraising account or login with your existing profile you are ready to solicit your friends and family members to support you! All the resources you need to set your donation goals, solicit donation, and track funds are on your donations dashboard.
For more information on our Fundraising and Donations tools Click Here
Athlete Dashboard view more ▶
The Athlete Dashboard is a new feature when you set up a member login and password and its Free.
The Athlete Dashboard allows you to view everything related to your events on one page; race registration information on all your events, results tracking for all your events, notice of photos for your events and charitable fundraising tracking.
For more information on the Athlete Dashboard link here: Athlete Dashboard
Training Programs view more ▶
Check back for Clinics near you.